Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Aspyn's Birth Story

I had my last Dr. Appointment on July 25th where I told Dr. Sanders that I would like to schedule an induction. I had wanted to go on my own because I was induced with Hadleigh and I wanted the experience of going into labor on my own. However, Mark would be able to stay home with me all week the following week and that was very important to me. Also, I was 40 weeks on July 26th and I really didn't want to go over my due date. Dr. S scheduled my induction for Friday morning, we were supposed to be at the hospital by 3 am. Thursday night we took Hadleigh to my moms and went to dinner and a movie. During the movie I started having pretty bad contractions, which I didn't realize were contractions until hours later. After the movie, I came home and showered and while I was getting ready to go to the hospital the contractions were getting much stronger and closer together. We arrived at the hospital around 3:30 am, honestly who is early to an induction?! Mark just could not understand why I wasn't being punctual. It took a bit of time to get me all checked in but after all of the paper work was done it was time to get me ready. The first thing of course had to be the dreaded iv... As a side note, the worst part of my delivery with Hadleigh was getting the iv, I would truly give birth 10 times over getting one. I had let my nurse know that and she proceeded to give me a huge pep talk about her iv skills, "I don't remember the last time I didn't get it on the first time or that a patient complained that it hurt". Well... It took THREE times to get it in, the first time she numbed me, stuck it in and said "Oops, that vein just blew, we'll have to do it again". Really lady, really... The same thing happened the next time and trust me after that I was ready to take the stupid hospital gown off, wake up my already snoozing husband (which I wanted to kill at this point, I'm contracting, about to get my 3rd iv and you're sleeping) and head home. She finally got it her 3rd try and never again will I trust a nurse telling me they are a pro. After all that business was over I had told her that I had been having contractions long before I came in and that some of them were quite intense so she decided to check me. I was already at a 5, hallelujah, this was around 5 am. I was passed the point of them giving me the medication to get me into labor so I got to progress on my own. I got my wish of going into labor myself, Little Miss decided to come the day after my due date, what a good little girl, just fashionably late. I got a new nurse at 6, named Michelle and she was actually my nurse with Hadleigh as well and I plan to schedule her in my next delivery as well, she is amazing! Moving on, by 6:30 am I had not progressed at all so they decided to start pitocin, giving me a very small amount. This really got things moving quickly, by 7 am I was at a 7 and decided I needed my epidural. I got my epidural around 7:30 and Aspyn's heart beat started dropping with every contraction, Michelle checked me again at 8 hoping that I would be at a 10, apparently sometimes when the heart beat drops it's because you are ready. Well I was ready, 3 cm in 30 minutes, go me! Dr. S rushed in and at 8:29 am Aspyn Joyce Sherratt was born weighing 7 lb. 3 oz. and was 19" long. She was so tiny to me- Hadleigh was 8 lb. 4 oz. so she seemed very small. She had a ton of dark, dark hair and all of the most feminine little features, the most perfect little girl! Everyone missed her birth because it all happened so quickly, I was on the phone telling my mom and sister that I was only at a 7 and the nurse was saying it would be a couple of hours. 5 minutes later I was ready and Miss Aspyn was here. We stayed in the hospital until Saturday afternoon when we got to come home and get Miss Hadleigh home too. I am so blessed to have my little family, I love every single day!